Power Systems Engineer/Technology Consultant
Do you want to be involved in positively disrupting the energy sector and leading the transition to a low carbon energy future? If you’re up for the challenge and have the power systems engineering skills to make it happen, join us!
Reactive Technologies is a highly innovative (150+ patents granted), industry-leading, energy tech company. Reactive focuses on offering unique measurement and analytics services for Transmission and Distribution System Operators (TSOs and DSOs) and an enhanced Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for renewable asset owners. To learn more about the company, please visit: www.reactive-technologies.com
As a start-up, we are agile, have a flat structure and reward good results. We offer a competitive salary, health and life insurance, pension and a modern, centrally located London office with flexibility offered for home workers.
Reactive Technologies is approaching energy system challenges in a very different way – applying innovative signal processing and data science technology to solve the greatest energy system challenges and redefine the status quo. This business unit offers three main services:
- Measurement: Technology that measures critical grid metrics. We are the first company to offer accurate measurement of system inertia, allowing us to show TSOs how inertia impacts frequency margins in real time and enabling System Planners to predict future risks more accurately. We are actively building our product portfolio to drive change in the system operations realm.
- Control: Building on real time measurements, we can detect and help TSOs respond to events faster and in a more dynamic way than ever before.
- Analysis: We use our power systems, signal processing and data science expertise to understand and resolve challenges facing modern TSOs, DSOs and Independent Power Producers (IPPs).
Power Systems Engineer/Technology Consultant
The key role of the Power Systems Engineer/Technology Consultant is to investigate and implement new technologies relating to power system monitoring and operations while supporting the ongoing business growth. The candidate will, at times, act as an interface between customers and Reactive’s development team, ensuring that products and services are relevant and valuable to our customers. This will involve maintaining relationships with customers, understanding their requirements and effectively communicating and scoping features. The candidate will report to Reactive’s Power Systems Specialist.
- Support new product development by applying power systems modelling, signal processing, and/or machine learning and analysis techniques in prototyping testbenches.
- Liaise with customers to understand, document and capture their requirements.
- Support delivery of pilot and commercial systems by assisting the customer on a technical level during commissioning and testing.
- Work closely with R&D and Operational functions to ensure products can be fully delivered.
- Help identify and mitigate project delivery risks.
- Support proposal development and management reporting.
- Represent the Company externally (in front of customers and at industry events).
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment without constant supervision. Exhibits personal drive and the ability to multitask.
Knowledge of power system challenges and ongoing solutions both in the UK and globally.
Particular areas of interest include
- Inverter control capabilities and/or
- Power system stability and associated modelling and/or
- Power quality measurement and analysis and/or
- Power system data analysis, e.g. forecasting or system parameter identification.
- Ability to reduce complexity into key, scalable requirements and to communicate effectively both in internal and external contexts.
- Able to think both technically and commercially, e.g. experience/appreciate techno-economic assessments.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Degree in engineering, mathematics or other quantitative discipline.
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Background in power system modelling and dynamic simulations (i.e. DIgSILENT PowerFactory, PSCAD, PSS/e, etc).
- Background in/knowledge of signal processing, and/or pattern recognition/machine learning techniques.
- Experience in delivery or operation of Grid, Utility or Energy Services.
- Experience in a client-facing role in addition to any operational roles.
- Knowledge of smart grid technologies from a DSO and/or TSO environment.
This role could be attractive for those with experience in the energy consultancy sector or for network operator/utility engineers looking for a new challenge.
Closing date 20th September
Salary 30,000- 50,000 dependant on experience